Over the years, electronic learning (eLearning) has gained momentum in the workplace across the world. Although some are yet to explore the full potential of eLearning, organizations more or less have already recognized its benefits. Especially this learning method has much been preferred by the organizations having a wide geographic presence, as it is the most effective and cost-efficient way to provide educational training to the remote workforce.
The following are the 5 great reasons why eLearning is the most sought-after option for today’s workplace.
- Digitization of the workplace: Organizations, nowadays, depend on digital systems to drive their workflow—right from cloud-based payroll and accounting systems to customer-centric ecommerce websites to employee-engaging intranet platforms. Employees also use a great deal of technology in their day-to-day life. Therefore, it makes sense to use this end-user behavior to provide education and training to the workforce.
- Cost-efficiency: Studies proved that digital delivery lowers training costs while retaining, or better to say, enhancing, the quality of learning experience. Time has come for organizations to make investments in developing or purchasing training materials and ensure that a stringent network is in place. However, they can make significant savings on classroom venues, travel costs, and trainers.
- Flexibility: Flexibility is another factor that has made eLearning popular among both organizations and employees. Since it is self-directed, any professional can learn at his/her own pace and according to his/her convenience. On the other hand, organizations can provide employees with a host of educational materials to cater to their individual learning styles without compromising training costs or training quality.
- Practical experience: Even if eLearning is all about online, it is still interactive, practical, and based on various real-life examples. Especially nowadays, eLearning training has reached a new level of advancement and therefore, the courseware has become more information-rich, interactive, and easy to use. Further, interesting exercises are available with all topics to evaluate a learner’s understanding.
- No geographical constraints: Nowadays, the proliferation of internet connection is a ground reality. Given this, eLearning has emerged as a great option for organizations having a wide geographical presence to train their remote workforce as well as in-office employees. This will curtail costs related to travel arrangements or recruiting trainers.
Undoubtedly, eLearning may not replace classroom training completely in the coming time as several organizations and employees still value formal classroom training. However, as studies show, e-learning has already proved its potential for some kinds of training—for instance, in business processes and new systems—and goes a long way in complementing classroom training by promoting self-paced study.
Last but not the least, eLearning can go a long way in making the subject matter come alive, which no classroom or text-based training can provide. eLearning techniques and tools are steadily gaining importance and fast getting assimilated into an organization’s learning and development strategy.